Crystal Smith is a freelance writer, blogger, and author based in the Greater Toronto Area.
Crystal has been writing all of her professional life. She began by writing training materials while working for a non-profit organization, then shifted to software documentation before starting her own freelance writing business called Tiger Lily Media. After a few years Crystal changed course to work as a sole proprietor under her own name. In her freelance work, Crystal has written and edited SEO web content, blog posts, articles, and social media posts for a wide selection of small business clients.
View a portfolio of Crystal’s work.
Prior to starting her own freelance writing and editing business, Crystal worked as a software trainer and documentation writer, working primarily with donor management software.
Crystal is author of the self-published book The Achilles Effect: What Pop Culture is Teaching Young Boys about Masculinity and its accompanying blog, which ran from 2008-2017. Her work on The Achilles Effect was covered in The Boston Globe, Advertising Age, and Feministing, and she has appeared on HuffPost Live and The Roy Green Show. In January, 2016 she published her second book, Boys, Sex & Media: Helping Boys Make Smart Decisions about Sex in a Popular Culture Dominated by Stereotypes & Sexism. Visit the Books page for more information.
Through her current blog and social media channels, Crystal discusses topics of interest to her in the areas of culture, issues, and life in general.
- University of Western Ontario – Master of Library and Information Science
- King’s College, University of Western Ontario – B.A., Honours History and French
Continuing Education Courses
- Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania – Online course in marketing, covering branding and social targeting, advertising, and persuading
- Wesleyan University – Online course in social psychology, including the subjects of persuasion and social influence
- University of Toronto – Continuing education courses in Information Design for Multiple Media and Website Implementation and Management
Crystal is a past member of the Professional Writers Association of Canada.